Join our Team!
We have currently two job positions open: Junior Project Manager in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
See below for more information.
Connecting the Dots in Science, Education, Art and Innovation
swissnex Brazil’s mission is to nurture the Swiss innovation ecosystem with ideas, concepts, and contacts to help Switzerland maintain and strengthen its competitive edge. We foster dialogue and enable collaboration among opinion leaders, researchers and practitioners in education, science and innovation between the Brazil and Switzerland.
A public-private venture, we are the youngest addition to a growing network of outposts in Bangalore, Boston, San Francisco, and Shanghai, initiated by Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI). swissnex works with public and private sector partners, sponsors and donors who are equally committed to furthering Switzerland’s leading position as an innovation nation.
Careers at swissnex Brazil
swissnex Brazil was officially inaugurated in April 2014. Still in its infancy, the organization’s medium-term goals are to build in-depth knowledge of the Brazilian innovation ecosystem; to strengthen its local network of high-level representatives from academia and business; and to implement out-of-the-box signature projects and events to ignite cross-continental conversations and showcase Swiss excellence in science and innovation.
As part of the swissnex Brazil team, you are expected to take ownership for accomplishing new and different requests from Swiss and Brazilian stakeholders; to explore opportunities to shape a sustainable portfolio of future activities; to expand and deepen our relationships with Brazilian and Swiss partners; and to work relentlessly to contribute to a successful take-off of this new organization.
You will get the opportunity to be part of a creative and innovative new venture; proactively help shape the first Latin American swissnex office; expand your skills and update your professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and events; work in one of the most vibrating emerging economies; and interact and collaborate with high-level representatives of both Switzerland and Brazil.
Junior Project Manager (6-month internship)
Reactively and proactively work with the CEO of swissnex Brazil in Rio de Janeiro, the Head of the São Paulo office and the core team of swissnex Brazil to accomplish tasks and respond to requests; assist and, where possible, take full ownership of the professional implementation of projects and events; and contribute with new ideas and initiatives to further swissnex’s unique mission and objectives. This includes:
- Event Planning & Management: active participation in and contribution to events and learning expeditions / delegation visits
- Logistics & Administration: active support with logistics needed to run swissnex Brazil, its office and its events
- ‘Connecting the dots’ & Networking: act as a connector between people and ideas
Detailed Overview of Tasks
Event Planning & Management:
- Conduct research & participate in brainstorming for event topics
- Independent planning, preparation and execution of projects and events
- Identify, contact and coach potential speakers / exhibitors/ participants
- Management with local stakeholders, service companies and suppliers
- Assist with public relations and communication between partners, sponsors, and other project partners
Logistics & Administration:
- Draft funding applications and reports
- Update and maintain event project database
- Logistical organization, including setting up event room, cleaning, welcoming and registering guests
- Take charge of AV management during events & generally support the ‘back-end’ of events
- Execute administrative duties such as assisting in office maintenance, basic IT support, mail
distribution, and hospitality
‘Connecting the dots’ & Networking:
- Reactively and proactively promote collaboration between people and organizations in Switzerland and Brazil
- Occasionally attend events, conferences, meetings as a swissnex representative, and share contacts, findings and learnings with the swissnex team
What we look for in a Candidate
General / Personality
- Outgoing, communicative; avid networker and connector
- Independent, self-motivated
- Hands-on, proactive
- Visionary, creative, resourceful
- Passionate about Brazil
- Dedication to further Swiss excellence in science, education, innovation and art
Background / Experience
- Recent Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Proven experience planning and managing events and/or projects
- Professional mastery (reading and speaking) of Portuguese language
- Professional mastery of at least one (1) Swiss national language
- Professional mastery of English language
- International experience (Brazilian and Swiss experience a plus)
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to independently implement projects
- Excellent people and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Attention to detail
- Solid time-management and ability to prioritize
- Web and social media savvy a plus
- This is a 100% position;
- Start date 15 January 2018. Duration minimum 6 months
- The position requires flexible hours, incl. some evenings and weekends
- Compensation to assist with living costs: BRL 4’000/month
- Swiss citizenship required
- Excellent Portuguese skills are a requirement